For the Vanilla Old Fashioned Cocktails:
- Place 2 ice cubes into a chilled Old Fashioned glass.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine 2 oz bourbon,½ oz simple syrup, 2 dashes bitters, and 2 ice cubes.
- Stir 15 seconds, or until shaker is frosty.
For the Vanilla-Infused Bourbon:
- In a sous vide pouch, combine bourbon, vanilla, and orange peel. Seal and cook at 150°F (65.5°C) for 2 hours.
- Prepare an ice bath. Submerge pouch in ice bath for 10 minutes, or until chilled.
- Strain and reserve bourbon. Note: Bourbon can be infused up to two weeks ahead and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
For the Simple Syrup:
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring sugar and 1 cup water to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Reserve 2 oz simple syrup for cocktails and save remaining syrup for another use. Note: Simple syrup can be made up to one month ahead, covered and refrigerated.
Strain into prepared glass and serve. Repeat to make 3 more cocktails.